2000-register

Which Diff Ratio?

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Which Diff Ratio?
From: "Liz Clancy" <liz@long-dog.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 18:49:40 -0000
Hi Listers, and Season's Greetings!

I'm posting this again, because I don't think it went through the first
time.

I am having a new diff (with TR7 carrier) for my Mk2 GT6 in the sometime in
the New Year.  The car will eventually be running a 2.5L motor with about
165 BHP (flywheel).  Presently I have a 2L lump with a 3.89 Diff fitted (and
D-type O/D).

My question:

Have any of you had experience of the more powerful engine conversions
running such a high-ratio diff as the 3.27?  Does the car bog down on gear
changes etc?

I have the option of a 3.63 Spit diff, too.  Perhaps this would be a better
compromise between vivid acceleration <g> and economy?

I will use the car mainly on the local "A" roads here in Wiltshire UK, with
a bit of motorway work.  You never know, when I get the car fixed, I might
even make it to one of the Nationals!!

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks in advance and a very Happy New Year!.

Jon Clancy
1970 GT6 Mk2
UK