2000-register

Fuel loss.

To: "2000 Register autox (E-mail)" <2000-register@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel loss.
From: "Andy Ellis" <andy@triumph.zx3.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 12:39:54 -0000
I was getting poor economy on my 2000 Mk 1 for no apparent reason.

One day, having left the car parked for three weeks, I noticed that the fuel
guage had dropped from Full to Half. Evidently a leak. There was no visible
evidence but petrol does, of course, evaporate quite quickly.

The actual leak was eventually traced to the carbs (by leaving blotting
paper under the car all night).

Because the fuel tank on the saloon its quite high, a syphon effect was
created which filled the float chambers whence the fuel slowly seeped away.

The fault was actually in the fuel pump. When not in use, the pump is
supposed to cut off the fuel supply. Mine had a fault and was letting a
trickle of fuel through. A new pump was fitted and all was well. (Thanks to
Quiller Triumph for tracing and fixing the fault).

Hope this may be of use to somebody some day.

Regards - Andy.