2000-register

SEC: UNCLASSIFIED RE: Pit Vs. Lift

To: "'David Hill'" <davhill@cwcom.net>,
Subject: SEC: UNCLASSIFIED RE: Pit Vs. Lift
From: "Robinson, David" <David.Robinson@cbr.defence.gov.au>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 09:37:17 +1000
David,
        I personally would favour a two post lift (better still a four
post).  A pit requires pumps (fumes, water, additional lighting, etc)
whereas a lift is much more versatile for engine removals (as per the
workshop manual), suspension work, and a raft of other easier to remove with
a raised car rather than a car over a pit tasks.   You can vary the height
to match the work being performed.

If you are short of space you can even store a car in the raised mode and
another car (or parts) under the raised car.   A two post lift also makes
maximum use of floor space, no lost area because of a hole in the garage
floor (even with covers).   I found climbing into and out of a pit (with
steps) a real disadvantage when getting tools and other essentials when
working on a car.   It also felt very claustrophobic.

The one draw back is you need the height in any garage to raise the car if
you go the raised option..

Hope this helps.

David Robinson