vtr

Re: Submitted for comment

To: "ralph.jannelli" <ralph.jannelli@cwix.com>
Subject: Re: Submitted for comment
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 14:45:53 -0400 ()
Cc: VTR <vtr@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-vtr@autox.team.net
On Wed, 5 May 1999, ralph.jannelli wrote:

> Now once in Seniors class you compete against the score sheet only. My
> question is what exactly does that mean?

Rule 2.1 states, as you note, that "Senior Class will be judged against
the score sheet only." Later on it states "There can be any number of
Senior Awards at any convention." To me, anyway, that means that there
wouldn't simply be a set number of class awards, i.e., first, second,
third. I'm not absolutely sure, though, although Chief Judge George Rabey
could clarify this.

> If your car is obviously modified
> e.g. race prepared, roll bar, body modification etc. it would seem obvious
> that the judge would apply the rules used in judging a modified car. But
> what if after wining your two first places in strictly stock class and now
> that you  are in seniors you decide to make a few subtle changes? Say like
> uprated bushing and gas shocks to make the car handle a little better than
> stock. How would these modifications be looked at in Seniors class?

I think this is pretty well explained in both 2.2 and 3.6.2.:

2.2 MODIFIED CLASS: A car shall be deemed to be "MODIFIED", and placed in
the modified class, if there is a major component change, i.e. engine, or
multiple (2 or more) minor component changes, multiple body and/or trim
modifications.  Minor modifications, which would not otherwise place the
car in the Modified Class, shall receive one half the deduction of a
missing part for each modified part....

OK, perhaps it's a bit vague in this case, but I interpret the shock and
bushing changes you suggest as -- "worst case scenario" -- minor changes.
Note in the following:

3.6.2 REPLACEMENT PARTS: Replacement and/or reproduction parts abound for
Triumphs. No deduction shall be taken for replacement parts unless they
differ significantly in appearance or material from the original. In such
case the deduction shall be one-half of the deduction that would be taken
if the part were missing.

Taking this even very literally, it would appear that that, say, poly
bushings MIGHT be considered to "differ significantly in appearance or
material from the original." As for shocks, though, aftermarket units have
existed for as long as the cars have, and (to cite one example) Koni
shocks were always available as dealer-installed options. As there is no
modification required to fit Konis or most other replacement shocks, I
think such shocks can be considered as "stock" components. Certainly the
do not differ much in appearance or material. An air shock conversion
MIGHT be considered a major modification, but only if someone were to
complain loudly enough about the Schrader valve and tubing to each shock.

That's my take on it. Again, the Chief Judge would be the final say here.

--Andy