vtr

Re: TR6 restoration

To: billsohl@mailhost2.planet.net, vtr@autox.team.net, mefoster@airmail.net
Subject: Re: TR6 restoration
From: TRIPHSTEVE@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 21:07:48 EST
Sender: owner-vtr@autox.team.net
Marvin and List-

I would agree with Bill. Buy the best car body avialable. Bodywork that is
time consuming is expensive. You might look into a Heritage bodyshell. I
restored a 1971 TR6 with a Heritage bodyshell and found it to be a great
option and certainly saved money in the long run. Heritage has reproduced the
TR6 bodyshell again and I understand they have repaired some of the flaws from
the first production run.

I know TRF has sold several of the newer production bodyshells and they are
currently having their Winter Parts Sale. The discount on a bodyshell during
the sale would be considerable.

You might want to contact the local Triumph club for some information on
bodyshops that have experience with both restoration work and LBC's. You might
start by calling Duncan Wood, who was once President of the Red River Triumph
Club. His address is/was: 4121 Cross Bend Drive, Arlington,Texas. His phone
number is/was: (817)483-4778. This information is from an old VTR magazine and
may be dated. Others on the List may be of help in updating the information.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Steve Thornton
Bowling Green, KY
"Home of the Corvette"
1954 TR2
1962 TR3B
1968 TR 250
1971 TR6

In a message dated 99-03-13 15:37:00 EST, billsohl@mailhost2.planet.net
writes:

 > I'm considering buying a TR6 and restoring it to something reasonably
 > approaching
 > mint condition. That's my fantasy anyway. I have looked at half a dozen
 > TR6s in the
 > area where I live (Dallas Tx). They all seem to be mechanically sound
 > but they are
 > all in various stages of exterior and interior decomposition. Rather
 > than just having
 > some bondo and paint slapped on, I would prefer to find a reputable body
 > shop that
 > specializes in quality restoration work. Does any of this sound familiar
 > to anyone?
 >
 > I would appreciate recommendations for a body shop in this area that
 > fits the above
 > description. I would also be interested in hearing other peoples
 > experiences undertaking similar projects and/or their advice for the
 > blissfully ignorant.

 Marvin,

 Consider buying a car with the BEST body, interior
 and cosmetic condition you can.  Body work and other
 cosmetic restoration is far more expensive than
 any mechanical rebuilds.

 Bill Sohl