vtr

Re: [Fwd: Triumph Bicycle ?]

To: BMurphy602@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Triumph Bicycle ?]
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 23:45:09 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: vtr@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-vtr@Autox.Team.Net
It has already been noted that the Triumph company got its start making
bicycles well before they made motorcycles and cars.

I don't know about the bike squads of the 1800s that you refer to, but
Langworth and Robson's history of the Triumph car does mention  that
"[some] 30,000 belt-driven 500cc machines, with their Sturmey-Archer
gearbox/clutch and chain-belt transmission, were supplied to British and
allied forces between 1914 and 1918. Does that help any?

I don't recall exactly when the bicycle side of the business was split
off, but I do know that Raleigh Bicycles of England still owns the Triumph
name as connected to bicycles. I don't know if they currently use it or
most of the other "classic" English bicycle names that they own, though.
Of course, the Triumph motorcyle name does live again, having originally
been sold off from the car company in 1936 and having progressed through
several owners since.

--Andy

...and owner of a Triumph bicycle, circa 1964!