vtr

Re: [Fwd: Q re correct paint for wire wheels]

To: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Q re correct paint for wire wheels]
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 07:52:19 -0400
Cc: vtr@Autox.Team.Net, BHMcM@aol.com
Sender: owner-vtr@Autox.Team.Net
Ken Streeter wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>   I received this query from Mike McMullen on the VTR WWW
> site.  Do any of you that know more about TR-3As want to
> take a stab at this one?
>
>   Please make sure your replies are sent to (or carbon
> copied) to Mike at BHMcM@aol.com
>
> --ken
> VTR WWW Maintainer -- http://www.vtr.org
>
> --
> Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
> Sanders, PTP2-A001          |
> PO Box 868                  | Voice: (603) 885-9604
> Nashua, NH 03061            | Fax:   (603) 885-0631

> Subject: Q re correct paint for wire wheels
> Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 23:57:22 -0400 (EDT)
> From: BHMcM@aol.com
> To: vtr-www@vtr.sanders.com
>
>    Its me again - the guy who was asking about ribbed vs. smooth letters for
> TR-3A. Many thanks for the responses, indicating that ribbed letters were
> original on some very late TR-3As (like mine, TS 80486 L).  As mentioned in
> the Moss catalogue, the changeover point when all cars had smooth letters is
> unknown, with both ribbed and smooth original on late TR-3As & TR-3Bs.
>  Probably the factory had a lot of ribbed letters to use up after the smooth
> ones arrived on the production line.
>    I have another (hopefully easier) query: what is the proper shade for
> painted wire wheels on a TR-3A?  I'm hoping someone has researched this and
> found a com- monly available Rustoleum "Aluminum", or other garden variety
> spraycan paint
> for the DIY folks that want to keep their cars "original."  Many thanks, and
> hope to meet lots of new TR friends next week in Fort Worth! - Mike McMullen,
> KC Mo

Mike,

Do you have the Moss Parts catalog for the TR2-TR4A? If so, page 59
shows you the mounting hole patterns of both the early ribbed letters
and the later smooth letters. Assuming you still have the original
valance, all you do is look at the hole pattern in the valance to see
what was installed. In case you don't have the catalog, the ribbed
letters R, U, M, P, and H are mounted with the two holes on the same
horizontal plane right next to each other, and the smooth letters the R,
U, M, P and H are mounted with staggered holes.

So, if you have any confidence you have your original valance, you are
in business. If your valance is not original, I have no idea of the
crossover point!

As to wheel cover, much has been said. I chose not to loose sleep over
it. I found a couple of paint numbers on the VTR site (I think) and
bought Plasticote at my local auto parts shop. I did not match what came
off the wheels when I sandblassted them, but it sure looks nice.
--
 Henry Frye            E-mail - thefryes@iconn.net
 TR3B   TCF1927 L   http://www.iconn.net/thefryes/