vtr

Re: Chassis colors

To: Mike Smith <Mike_Smith@bbdotor.com>
Subject: Re: Chassis colors
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 17:29:38 -0900 (PDT)
On Mon, 10 Jul 1995, Mike Smith wrote:

> Chassis colors
> Can anybody help? I'm doing a frame off resto on a TR3A (69000 series car) and
> although I understand that invariably chassis were supplied in black this one
> seems to have been finished in signal red. This was definately the original
> color as it appears under various components like the rear shocks etc. While
> that in itself seems not too odd, the fact that I believe that the cart was
> originally black with red trim seems a little peculiar.
> Anyone have any thoughts on the subject? It's obviously easy enough to redo in
> black, but if the red has any significance, then I'd like to retain it in the
> quest for originality. Thanks.

Speaking only from my own experience, I have noted that most all the
"small Triumphs" (Herald, Spitfire, etc.) had chassis frames painted
body color. Assembly plant photos I have seen bear out the fact that
this is the way they were painted at the factory -- body on frame.
Underneath the color coat, chassis usually were first painted black, and
most replacement chassis components I've seen were painted black as well.
My firsthand experience with the "big" TRs is limited pretty much to my
own TR3As, all of which are post TS60000 cars. What I've been able to
find on mine bears out the fact that the chassis on these cars were body
color as well.

It certainly is possible that older TRs featured chassis painted black
regardless of body color. Perhaps someone who knows more of TR
production history and the various factories involved can shed more
light on this, but perhaps it coincides with the opening of a "new
assembly plant" by Triumph in about 1960 or so (exact date forgotten at
the moment)?

Have you researched the car through British Motor Heritage? Or are you
otherwise certain of the car having been black with red trim originally?

Anyone else care to speculate?

Andrew Mace
10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant
Vintage Triumph Register