Re: [Vintage-race] Need advice on lifts

To: Mark Palmer <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>, "vintage-race@autox.team.net >>
Subject: Re: [Vintage-race] Need advice on lifts
From: Nor Cal SAAC <webmaster@norcal-saac.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 13:56:07 -0800
I also have never owned one, but have many friends who have them.
.... plus I have formed opinions so here you go...

Mark Palmer wrote:

>   So my questions are:
>

> -- how many posts?  I'm thinking that 4-posts lifts are primarily storage
> devices, right?  And 2-post lifts are better for servicing -- right?  How
> about a single-post lift?

Right. I would get a 2 post lift for service... although 4 post sounds a lot
safer.
Plus you could safely use the 4 post for storage should you need it.

There's a new "portable" 2 post lift, just saw a video at Jay Leno's Garage
Cute idea but I see issues...... watch and you'll see what they are ...
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/  ....scroll down.

> -- what are the floor requirements?  Standard slab, or thicker?  Rebar? Would
> I be smart to pick the lift first and have the contractor install the lag
> bolts and then pour the floor?  Or not really necessary? (what if I change my
> mind about which bay I want it in...)

I would wait....

> -- what about the garage door?  Will I need a taller door to clear the lift?
> Can you use an electric garage door opener on that bay -- wouldn't car hit the
> opener when the lift is up?  So no opener??

The garage door rails can follow the slope of the roof as opposed to a 90
degree bend.....
so not a problem

> Any advice appreciated ...

Regards