Re: [Vintage-race] tranny oil

To: Sam & Greg <samandgreg@netins.net>
Subject: Re: [Vintage-race] tranny oil
From: Carl Braun <clbraun@vintagerace.net>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 21:06:12 -0500
Good Question!

My understanding is engine oil changes were "deemed necessary" because worn
street engines
were passing zinc additives into catalytic converters and caused them to be
less effective
decreasing emissions.  Therefore, engine oil was adjusted (reduced zinc) to
decrease
pollution from worn-out engines.

Transmissions and gear oil don't have a similar problem.  It's my understanding
extreme
pressure additives in these oils has not been reduced, and will not need to
change.

Carl Braun