Re: anyone know the manufacturer?

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: anyone know the manufacturer?
From: "Joe Guinan" <spitfirejoe@email.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 03:06:52 +0800
I have the Shell Valley seats in my 1980 Street/Autocross Spitfire.   The
company is in a nearby small town.  These seats were
available in two different widths when I bought mine.  I got the narrower of
the two, and don't remember the actual sizes.  The seat
shells are pretty cool - they use a balsa plywood to give the fiberglass some
extra rigidity.  Seat cushions are built up of foam
rubber on a plain 1/4 inch plywood panel and affixed with velcro so they can
be removed for mounting/dismounting and cleaning.   They
really don't offer a lot of side support, but they work well for me and look
correct in a "street" car.

A local auto upholstery shop I use does the sewing for Shell Valley, so it's
really easy for me to get them to make upholstery
that matches interiors.  I don't have any photos of the fiberglass shell in my
archives, but can easily get them.  Actually, I just looked, and I don't have
any good photos of the upholstered seats in my car either.  Let me know if you
are interested in seeing photos, and I'll get some taken and email them to
you.

I think it cost me about $410 to buy the seats and have them upholstered in a
basic vinyl.  That was several years ago, so prices could have changed.
"Custom" designs would be more, of course, but they could do about anything
you wanted.  If you provided the correct upholstery fabric, it could be less.

Joe Guinan
Fremont, NE