Re: ABS

To: "Thomas Matychowiak" <tcm43@pacbell.net>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ABS
From: "Carl McLelland" <carlynneracing@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:54:51 -0700
When anti-lock brakes first became available, insurers offered discounts for
vehicles so-equipped in anticipation of fewer accidents.

The first patrol cars we got at the Sheriff's Office with ABS were the 1991
Chevy Caprices (the "Turtle" cars, or '49 Hudson Hornets; depending on your
age). On a M.A.I.T. (Major Accident Investigation Team) training day we took
an ABS Caprice and an older non-ABS Caprice onto a skid pan and destroyed
several sets of tires; partly to test and conclude what to look for in
accident scenes, but also to prepare a briefing package for the Patrol
Division on what ABS would and would not do.

We equipped both ABS and non-ABS Caprices with a Vericom 2000 accelerometer
and also weighed both vehicles so we could do all our calculations from
(radar) speed, speed from skid and energy.

We quickly found that the non-ABS cars stopped significantly shorter than the
ABS car under panic braking when the operator (of the non-ABS car) applied
correct threshold braking techniques and stopped slightly shorter during
locked wheel brake tests.

The important issue with ABS is the ability to retain steering control during
a panic stop. HOWEVER, this feature is only viable provided the driver INPUTS
STEERING to attempt to avoid the hazard!

Driving is a 'divided attention function', meaning you are doing a variety of
things, (speed control, steering, braking, watching for hazards, {changing
CD's, talking on a cellphone}, etc) all while you motor down the road. As soon
as a 'stressor' occurs it is common that 100% of the drivers attention is
diverted to that one thing, and the most common reaction is Panic Braking.
Thus, even in ABS cars, when the driver "puts both feet on the (brake) pedal
and arches their back against the seat back to apply Maximum brakes", it's
still all for naught if the driver doesn't also steer around the hazard as
he/she brings the car to a stop!

A professional driver qualifies at about 99% and races at 90-95%. In historic
racing we are operating at about 80-90 percent of our ability. We train
policemen to operate at 70% during pursuit driving. And when you drive your
'passenger car' down the highway.... your at about 10%.

I never once interviewed a driver who decided first thing in the morning....
"well, I think I'll get into a big wreck today!" But then, that's why they are
called "Accidents". If you went out with the intention of crashing then it
would be an "On Purpose".

It Ain't A Phone Booth. Hang Up And Drive!
        Carl        Lotus 61 FF