Re: Head and Neck Safety Devices

To: <MHKitchen@aol.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Head and Neck Safety Devices
From: "Carl McLelland" <carlynneracing@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 20:29:21 -0700
This has become one of the more interesting threads on this net in some time.
Not the bickering and complaining type argument, but some real serious
discussion.

I will agree that in certain types of collision a HANS device will be of
substantial benefit to the wearer. It can also lead to a false sense of
security. Another VERY important piece of safety equipment if you want to go
'all out', would be to go to a Police uniform supply store and purchase a
ballistic vest (the kind the cops wear.... to stop bullets). Don't worry about
a trauma plate but get the kind that completely wraps the torso. This will
substantially reduce the possibility of a puncture or slicing type wound and
Significantly reduce blunt force trauma. It will provide much needed internal
organ protection from instantaneous deceleration. (Somebody wrote, and YES...
I've worked many fatal traffic accidents where selts and airbags all worked
according to plan, but they didn't help the torn aorta a bit and the occupant
bled out internally.)

Doesn't NASCAR, in addition to the HANS also use seats with large metal
bolsters on each side of the head to protect in case of a side impact?

How many of you get in your racer and immediately cinch the belts down as
tight as they will go..... take your last breath of air for the next 30
minutes and cinch them down even tighter?? So tight that you literally CAN NOT
MOVE!?!? Well guess what..... you just made yourself about 75% more likely to
die in a crash: especially if it's a straight ahead explosive deceleration.
Why, you ask? Your body has No Place To Go(!), therefore it must decelerate at
the same rate as the car. If you tighten those belts down snugly, but with
enough slack that you could move forward an inch or so, then in the first one
hundred or so micro seconds (1/10'th of a second) that the vehicle is going
from 'zero g' deceleration to 'maximum g' deceration your body is taking up
the slack in those harnesses slowly and vastly improving your chances.

There are so many factors to consider in occupant kinematics that it has
become a science completely onto itself and I do not consider myself an expert
in the field. There are a myriad of things that you can do to assist in one
type collision that would be detrimental in another type collision. Someone
had the solution: a soft plastic body mold that we are encased in then lowered
into the car.

Someone else said to let go of the steering wheel just before the crash. YEA,
that's a great idea.... Now who is going to think to do it in a crash (at a
time when you are valiantly fighting to the very end to save the car).

We could address one other safety device while we're here...... (1) the need
for the driver to stay within his capabilities...... and (2) there will be no
scouts from Maranello at any of our events looking for Michael's replacement,
so relax and enjoy your car and race safe!

I won't slight anybody who purchases and uses a HANS or any other piece of
safety equipment. I use all the safety equipment I've purchased. Knowing that
the sport is dangerous and I can get hurt is also important. Throughout my law
enforcement career I never put the uniform on without the vest. I always
figured, no matter how hot or uncomfortable is was, the first time I needed it
would be too late to return to the station to get it.

Whatever your decision on a HANS, good luck and here's hoping you never need
to test it!
    Carl    Lotus 61 formula Ford        61/FF/79