RE: BRIC Incident - Caution Rant Ahead

To: <TMHEFFRON@aol.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: BRIC Incident - Caution Rant Ahead
From: "Rick Yocum" <rickyocum@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:29:33 -0400
THE RULE IS THIS IS NOT REAL RACING.   Yeah, I know  we're trying to go
pretty fast and we want to pass the car in front of us, but  there is a
world of
difference between that kind of attitude and the  mindset of real racing.

As I wrote in a note to Larry Dent last night, when I got into vintage
(Group 6) 11 years ago, there was a different attitude.  At the first
drivers' meeting of the weekend (mandatory...and you didn't go on track
unless you attended) the chief steward would always state, "If any of you
have a goal of leaving here this weekend with a first place medallion, raise
your hand.  We'll get you one and you can go home."

It set the stage for the weekend.

Over the years it's become more and more about winning.  Check today's lap
times against the times the same cars ran 35 years ago.  That ain't all
tires and brakes!

Rick