Re: Driving a Transmission with Straight Cut Gears

To: "Ryan, Richard" <RRyan@frk.com>
Subject: Re: Driving a Transmission with Straight Cut Gears
From: Royce Miller <royce_miller@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:00:29 -0800 (PST)
--- "Ryan, Richard" <RRyan@frk.com> wrote:
> After racing cars with production transmissions for years, I will soon
> have
> the opportunity to race one with straight cut gears and dog rings.
>
> I think the shifting technique is different, right?
>
> How the hell do I do it?  Does any one know of good reference material
> or
> websites with info?
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Dick Ryan  650-312-4022
> EVP of Wrenchen' en Racen'
> Flash Racing Limited

Hello Dick,

Last year I went from stock syncro box to Quaife straight cut, dog box in
the Cortina.  The hardest part to get used to is getting started,
especially since the clutch and flywheel was changed to a Tilton setup and
went from a 3.2 to a 2.25 1st gear.  Sometimes when stopped it takes a
while to get the trans to select a gear even with the engine off.  But
with the engine running, if you push the shifter toward 1st and slowly let
out the clutch it will drop in as the clutch starts to engage.  With my
car I certainly can upshift and downshift the car with the clutch like a
syncro box, in fact I do as insurance to avoid an over-rev situation.  You
can feel the trans clunk into gear long before you start to release the
clutch.  So it is really up to you if you want to drive it like a syncro
box or take advantage of shifting without dis-engaging the clutch.

Hope it helps!  Mileage may vary!

Royce
Lotus Cortina Mk1 vintage racer #111
Sacramento, CA USA