Dwell and Points gap on a Formula Ford

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dwell and Points gap on a Formula Ford
From: "agendaguy" <agendaguy@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 21:34:19 -0700
I've read in my lovely Pinto book that the 1600 should have a points gap of
.024-26 and a dwell of 38-40 degrees. If I sent the points at .25 I get a
dwell of 48 degrees. In order to get down to a dwell around 40 I need to have
the points at .031.

I'm trying to solve a problem of points bounce which causes my electric tach
and MSD rev limiter to be very confused at high RPM's. Tthis is currently
happening and I checked the points gap for the first time in this new to me
car and found them at .048.

Long story, short, which is the metric to select. The points gap of about .025
or the dwell of 40 degrees...because I can't seem to have them both at the
sametime

Thanks...currie