Re: Open Face Helmets - Thanks

To: John Donohoe <sevenamerica@yahoo.com>, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Open Face Helmets - Thanks
From: Royce Miller <royce_miller@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 16:09:49 -0700 (PDT)
--- John Donohoe <sevenamerica@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Okay, okay... I get it :-))
>
> My Seven is an America, stock 948 Sprite powered, so I
> doubt I'd be topping 70 mph or so, and I figured by
> the time I'm ready to actually take it proper Vintage
> Racing, the helmet I buy now will be outdated!
>
> That all considered, I am impressed by the amount of
> strong advice against open helmets, and I have to
> chuckle at some of the stories that I'm sure didn't
> seem at all funny at the time. Thanks for sharing
> them.
>
> So, is there any full face helmet with a wider field
> of view than another? The reduction periferal vision
> of my 14 year old full face (Bell) helmet was a
> contributing factor to the karting accident which
> ended my budding Formula 1 career back in 1990 -- Yes
> well, perhaps I'm dreaming about the F1 bit, but the
> kart roll was definitely a reality! Good ol' Ronnie
> Johncox was just not far enough up next to me that I
> could see him as I dove for the corner!
>
> John D.

There are some helmets with larger openings for folks who wear glasses.  I
know bell makes one, I think called the M2?  Besides, if you end up
vintage racing the car you will most likely end up in a production car
grid with large, easy to see vehicles.  Most of which have roofs.  Also,
one advantage a car has over the gokart is these things called mirrors on
them! ;-)

Have fun!

Royce
'66 Lotus Cortina Mk1 vintage racer