Happy Hollidays...

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Happy Hollidays...
From: "David R. Mapes" <dmapes@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 11:40:27 -0500
Hi Folks!

Just finnished the wrapping, Unwrapping happens at
Grandma's after a 1:00 Pm Dinner...  Happy Hollidays
to everyone on the list.

Just got the results of the first dyno pull on Ol'Beastly's
new 306.  This is with the same jetting in the Holley that
was feeding the 410, only 32 degrees of timing, and the 6000
RPM chip in the rev limmiter (another hangover from the 410,
now replaced with a 7400 RPM chip):

        Between 3318 - 5996 RPM torque was between
        249 and 274 Ft/Lbs at the rear wheels.  At
        3318 it was making 257 Ft/Lbs.  The Air/Fuel
        ratio never got leaner than 11.14:1 and was
        avaraging around 10.7:1, basicly dead rich.

Not bad considdering the "tune" (or lack thereof) on the motor.
George Reggio (owner of Maryland Performance Center (oblagetory
plug)), the builder,  expects the numbers to go up by 15 - 25
Ft/Lbs once the carb is leaned out a bit and the timing is
turned up.  He's not sure what we'll see above 6000 RPM because
this is the first serious motor he's done with the Edelbrock
Performer RPM Air Gap intake.  Also the engine wasn't running
cleanly below 3000 RPM due to a very soft spring controlling the
780 CFM Holley's secondary opening (the 410 liked it).  But we
should be able to clean that up with a little more initial
ignition advance and a slightly stiffer secondary spring (I'd
like to see it pull cleanly from about 2500 RPM).  All of this
was on Pump gas and somewhat of a budget.

I feel like a Kid on Christmas mornig... Hey wait a minute!...
All the Best!  Dave  ;^)
'66 Formula S Barracuda, CP/Vinatage (GoldFish)
'66 C code Mustang Coup, CP (Ol'Beastly)
'91 Sundance, HS (150,000 miles and counting)
'97 Cherokee
Lame Horse Racing
College Park, MD
http://www.erols.com/dmapes/