RE: Past string

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Past string
From: "Brian Caldersmith" <briantc@bigpond.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 10:22:04 +1100
I was interested in Larry's comments about what you guys call "Vintage
Racing" and the perceived problems you seem to be having. I know they
are not unique and driver behaviour is something that I'm sure has the
attention of most officials around the world. I know it has here in
Australia.

"Vintage racing", or, as the rest of the world calls it (including the
FIA) "Historic racing" is in fact RACING. If you are going to have
practice, and qualifying, and grid positions for racing cars, with
starting lights and finishing flags, you are going to have racing
whatever the vehicles. That is the point of it all.

And I understand your feelings about modifications to cars. That is the
fastest way to destroy historic racing.

We are fortunate in that the one set of rules covers the entire country,
so that your logged book car can be used at any historic event anywhere.
And our cars cannot be changed/developed. Essentially they must be AS
THEY WERE IN THE PERIOD and the eligibility is very strict (Several FIA
approved historic cars are not eligible here because of the
modifications adopted under their more liberal rules). We have 16
classes from pre 1931 (which is the only "vintage" group), through to
1984 cars in sports and racing categories.

The same applies to our racing licences which are National full
competition licences issued after all the requirements are met. I am not
sure how licences are issued in the States, but our system involves a
full medical examination (At a standard slightly higher than a
commercial pilots licence - we have had 747 pilots pass the flying
medical, but fail the racing examination!). Then there is the two day
lecture and observed driving test to be passed, after which you are
required to act as a track side official (you call them "corner
workers", we call them "flaggies" - and other things) for 8 hours.

Then you need to compete at 5 different race meetings (with a red "P"
(Provisional) on the back of your car) to the satisfaction of the Clerk
of the Course, within a 12 month period, at not fewer than two different
circuits. You may then be issued with your licence.

This acts as the first series of filters to sort out the "would be's"
from the "could be's". Then, once racing on a full licence you may be
penalised, fined, &/or have your entry refused for future meetings if
your driver behaviour is unacceptable. This is enforced.

So that tends to look after driving standards and vehicle standards for
the racing, but we have another level of competition that may resolve
some of your problems. At each historic meeting, there are usually 30+
races and quite a few of them are Regularity Events. These are for
drivers with a lower grade of licence and they are aimed at encouraging
people to try the sport. Or for those that do not want the full bottle.

The aim is consistency. After practice, each driver nominates the lap
time they wish to circulate at and the winners are those who keep
closest to the time. Points are deducted for being slower and double
points for being faster. They are set off in pairs spaced about 2
seconds apart and if anybody starts going too quickly (minimum lap times
are set) or spinning/driving erratically, they are black flagged.

This has been very successful in bringing out cars and drivers that
would normally not be seen. It also has a very good conversion rate of
cars and drivers into full licences and historic racing with the right
approach to the sport.

Larry, whilst I understand you cannot pull your fragmented sport
together into one set of rules and regulations, would a version of the
regularity event solve some of the problems?

Seasons Greetings to all,

Brian Caldersmith