yet another question: lucas starters?

To: "vintage-race" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: yet another question: lucas starters?
From: "Charles Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 07:10:06 -0400
the elden formula ford uses an original type lucas starter on it.   we are
experiencing a problem i have never encountered and could use a bit of
direction on this one.   it starts the car just fine no problem at all .
but after it is running when you rev up the motor the starter bendix begins
to turn in towards the ring gear and actually make contact!   this is
starter #2 and bendix #2 so i believe it is not just one odd starter.   so
how can the bendix be modified to stay retracted and away at high rpm's?
it stays retracted at idle.   it begins to move towards the ring gear as the
rpm's increase , and the higher the rpm's the more agressivly it will move
towards the ring gear and make contact.    we started at watkins glen with a
new bendix and by the end of the first session on track it had no teeth left
on it!  (ring gear was just fine amazingly enough!).
so, what  recomendations  are out there besides going to a tilton starter?

chuck.