Overheating

To: vintage race net <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Overheating
From: Craig Wright <cwright@pdghightower.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 11:26:49 -0700
I'm running a '66 GT350 with about 425 hp. Right now I'm using a new Griffin 2
row (1.25"
tubes) radiator that fits in the original opening. I do not want to modify the
original
opening. The engine is fresh, the pump use an enclosed impeller, the pump speed
is reduced
to about 50% engine speed, the intake hose has a spring to prevent collapsing,
I can run a
5/8" orifice or a thermostat with the same results. With a 20# cap I get runaway
overheating on the track (High speed track, Willow Springs) after 7 laps with
an air
temperature of 96 and track temp of 133.

When I go to a 30# cap the temperature steadies out at 215-220. The gauge is
verified
correct. I would like to get a little more margin. Does anyone have any
feedback of the
pros and cons of various radiators. I notice that Fluidyne makes a three row to
fit the
original opening but at $600 a shot I'm getting leery of just replacing parts
on a guess.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Craig Wright