Re: Want To Run An Airport Race In Maine?

To: Jim Hayes <jeh@jimhayes.com>, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Want To Run An Airport Race In Maine?
From: "Carl W. French" <cfrench@cybertours.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 06:02:28 -0400
Sanford airport used to run circle track, drag racing and auto-x. Any
chance of that happening again ended in 1980 when George Bush became VP
then president. It is now the primary landing spot for he and his entourage
and they have secured the place and put in way too many expensive lights to
want to run cars around it. There was one last very large taxiway and
hanger area but that was killed by the Big Dig, all the precast concrete
bridge sections and Jersey barriers are done here.
There is Loring Air base a former SAC base with the usual 11,000 foot
runway pad BUT, that is about two miles from the Canadian borer at the top
of the state. You can wish for the closure of Brunswick NAS as that is huge
and in Midcoast but that would be some time from now. What about Westover?
or North Weymouth etc.
Carl French