Forwarded: Re: finding TDC with the heads on

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Forwarded: Re: finding TDC with the heads on
From: List Administration <lists@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 12:34:31 -0600 (MDT)
For some reason this was sent to me rather than vintage-race@autox.team.net.

mjb.
----

     Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 11:21:41 -0500
     From: Wes Campbell <wes@texas.net>
     Subject: Re: finding TDC with the heads on

I sent out a post earlier asking for help in finding TDC with the heads on
the car.  I have a 1600 CC Kent Ford cross flow set up and I'm mounting the
crank sensor for an Electromotive (distributor-less) ignition system.  It's
a precise system and I had to be sure I had the sensor exactly at TDC for
it to work properly.

I tried using my valve feeler gauge to figure out TDC with valve action,
but, that proved to be too difficult if not impossible.  It wasn't very
exact; I could rotate the engine several degrees without knowing exactly
where TDC was.  So, I gave it some serious thought and came up with a
creative solution that perhaps others can benefit from.

The solution:
The solution would require some concentration in hand rotating the engine
because of the unevenness of the back pressure.  I need to free up my hands
to concentrate on just that.  So, I took a multimeter that has the audible
tone option for continuity or a short.  I attached one probe to the chassis
and the other I wrapped tape around it to insulate it and provide a
in-place-fit friction mount.  I  inserted that probe in the #1 spark plug
hole with the piston as high as I could tell.

I rotated the engine by hand as slowly and as evenly as I could.  When the
piston comes up and touches the probe, I get a audible tone and I stop
rotating the engine.  I marked that spot with a little masking tape and a
mark.  I then REVERSE the engine rotation 300+ degrees until the same thing
happens.  I again mark that spot with a little masking tape and a mark.  I
take a easy to read precision ruler and find the mid point between the two
marks.  My TDC mark is now mid point between those two marks.

I now have my engine at TDC.  This method proved to be very exact.  I could
repeat the process several times and the marks were always on the same
spot.  Plus, with just a little hand pressure on the wrench use to rotate
the engine, I could set the tone off and on.  The engine rotation for this
action was unnoticeable by human eye.

Hope this helps someone else in the future.