Re: Castrol "R" alternative

To: "Alan" <alan@roverworks.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Castrol "R" alternative
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill@chorus.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 00:29:45 -0600
Alan Simpson wrote:

> I have discovered that Castrol "R" is unavailable here in
> Canada (according to the Castrol representative).

It's not available from Castrol USA, but it's still being made and is
available (or was the last time I bought it a year or so ago) from UK
sources.

I seem to recall that one of the US Triumph parts houses (Moss, perhaps?)
had made it available again in small quantities not long ago.

It's not inexpensive, and if you buy it from a supplier in the UK make sure
that it's shipped the cheapest possible way.

> Does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative lubricant,
> with similar properties, that is more readily available?

There may be a product that will satisfy the particular needs of your
Cozette super charger, but it's hard to imagine anything "comparable" to
Castrol R's "synthetic/castor technology".

Jim Hill
Madison WI