Re: VRRC

To: <Idplanes@aol.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: VRRC
From: Doug Meis <s800racer@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 13:33:54 -0500
on 3/23/02 9:49 AM, Idplanes@aol.com at Idplanes@aol.com wrote:

Doug and Harold,

The so called run-offs used to be very well controlled, just as SCCA amateur
racing was during the early days. There is no reason to believe that a well
run vintage championship would be a crash fest. I think that the people who
are behind this know what they are doing and have thought of these things.

I have seen some of the worst vintage driving ever at Monterey and that
event is still considered the top USA event. Bad driving is an individual
problem that could appear at any race. Well run clubs know how to control it
and nip it in the bud. Let's see what happens.

I have always wanted to race in such an event. I hope I am good enough to
qualify.

Pete Watson
Lotus 11 (G-modified, 1098cc FWA not FWE)

   OK, I was a bit tongue in cheek when I said the run-offs had so much red
mist.  You are correct that a well run championship does not have to be any
different than any other vintage race.  I am looking forward to HSR's new
event and hope to qualify also.
   Meanwhile, no one has to wait until next year to race in a Vintage
National Championship race for period correct cars conforming to the SCCA
classes and regulations of the 60's and early 70's.
   VDCA ran the first Vintage National Championship races at Savannah last
December with a pilot program of races counting for National Championships
in the small bore classes.  VDCA will again host the Vintage National
Championships at Savannah this December with a full program for all groups
and classes.
   For everyone out there thinking about the HSR Vintage Road Race of
Champions, put Savannah on your calendar and find out how you and your car
stack up against the competition.  VDCA will put your car through a
technical inspection to determine compliance with the same  period correct
specifications that HSR is calling for.  It will be the ideal tune-up and
test weekend if you are planning to compete in period correct championship.

   Doug Meis

   P.S.  VDCA will host it's first race of the season at VIR April 19-21.
Entries have been coming in and it is shaping up to be a very good event.
While we will not be running championship races, period correct cars will
receive preference in classing.  Most other cars that are legal for SVRA or
VSCCA are welcome to enter and compete.