Belknap NH history wanted

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Belknap NH history wanted
From: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 01:03:38 +0000
Anyone on the list have any info about sports car hillclimb competitions
held at the Belknap ski area in New Hampshire, circa 1958?  Ref. Donohue
book "Unfair Advantage" page 2

I knew there were motorcycle races at this location, but I never knew there
were any events for automobiles.

Does anyone know who organized the auto events?  What years?  Anyone have
any programs, magazine articles, results, etc they could share?  Anybody on
this list who attended/participated?

BTW the Belknap ski area was re-named "Gunstock" ski area at some point, and
still operates today -- I believe it is owned & operated by state of New
Hampshire.  It is near Laconia, NH, on Lake Winnepesaukee (sp?).  They still
have some vintage motorcycle races there and a motorcycle hillclimb, going
up the ski jump slope, each year in early June during "bike week".

The old Belknap motorcycle road races eventually lead to the creation of
Bryar Motorsports Park, a race track in nearby Loudon, which was bought out
in 1989 and re-named New Hampshire Int'l Speedway as we know it today.  I'm
trying to trace the history of sports car racing in this area, the Bryar and
NHIS histories are well known, but I don't have anything on the Belknap hill
climb for cars.  Up until today, I thought the first car races in the area
were those at Bryar.

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Mark Palmer