Fwd: Head Lamps, etc, etc

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Head Lamps, etc, etc
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 14:00:01 EST
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Full-name: JWoesvra
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 13:59:04 EST
Subject: Re: Head Lamps, etc, etc
To: tomph@mchsi.com

In a message dated 3/8/02 10:37:51 AM Pacific Standard Time, tomph@mchsi.com
writes:

> Thanks for all the info on the head lamps. I guess I'll start a quest for
> the buckets and we'll where I go from there. See ya at the track someday.
>
> Tom P

While we're on this subject I want to make one last plea for racers and
organiziers to work toward getting charging systems back on these cars (1972
specs and before). Any weight or power loss arguments are more than offset by
the luxury of not having to charge the battery all the time. It has been
proven many times over that dead loss systems cannot provide peak voltage
requirements of  racing ignition systems for very long. Near the end of a
race when demands are the greatest is when your battery may be struggling to
make 8 or 9 volts.

There are so many neat little alternators available now that everyone should
be able to find one that fits their appplication. Put a switch in the field
wire circuit if you think you need that 1/2hp on the last laps.

Ouch! I twisted my leg getting off the podium.

jw

Time is lost between sessions because someone has spun and stalled on the
course and can't restart because of a weak battery. It happens all the time.
This affects all of us.