Re: clutches

To: vinttr4@geneseo.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: clutches
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 08:25:08 EST
vinttr4@geneseo.net writes:

> Anybody know anything about light clutches, or lightening stock units?
> (yeah, I know I'll get 50 messages saying "don't do it" but I already
> know that :)  )

The only way to improve the clutch is to use a smaller diameter multi-disc
type that reduces the diameter of the rotating mass.

Frankly, in a TR-4, it ain't worth bothering with. I mean it isn't as if you
were dealing with something that revs in a snappy sort of fashion, like an
MG, for instance ;-)

The lighter flywheel is worthwhile (I used one in a TR3 I had) but beyond
that it is a bit of a waste of time - spend the money on a custom forged
crankshaft to make that tractor engine (and I say that as one who is rather
fond of them) stay together longer at higher rpm.

I assume that you have already whacked off that great lump on the front of
the crank (aka the fan hub/starter dog, if it is an early car) and replaced
it with a regular extension and bolt? That reduces a minimal amount of
rotating mass, but also eliminates a source of potential vibration.

Bill
(ex TR2, TR3, TR3A, TR3B, Swallow Doretti, TR4, TR4A....)