Re: Discs or drums

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Discs or drums
From: TMHEFFRON@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 11:23:44 EST
Re: Disc's or Drums

Auto racing of all kinds was done from the turn of the last century to
slightly past mid-century exclusively on drum brakes.  Historically, just
about 50 years on all drum system, and now at about 50 years on discs and a
mixture of discs/drums for production cars.  About half and half.

To suggest that drum braked cars are unsafe for racing or shouldn't be
vintage-raced makes no sense, these cars were raced very hard in their day,
with brake shoe material that's not as good as what's available today (though
some may debate this).    I understand discs are technically superior.   So
are roller cams, etc...  That's not the point.  A correct vintage race car
with well-maintained drum brakes, running on the proper tire, should be just
fine.   It won't keep up with the heavily modified "vintage race cars", or
with a car of it's period that has a four-wheel disc system, but it didn't
back then and it shouldn't today.  If there's one thing that honks me off at
vintage races it's seeing some car that is running so much faster than it
ever did in the period due to modern "safety updates" like four wheel discs
and big fat tires.  These cars run away and hide from period correct cars
that were winners in the period.  Call it what you will, defend it if you
want, but it's wrong.