John D's Wobbly Seven - Brake Drums!

To: lotus@se7ens.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: John D's Wobbly Seven - Brake Drums!
From: john donohoe <gt6driver@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 07:49:23 -0700 (PDT)
Greetings all,

Thanks for all the input on my 65 mph front end
wobble. Last night I finally had some time to delve
into it and here's what I found...

Removed the wheels and spun the hubs with drums in
place and could see that the drums appeared out of
round! In fact, the swept area of the drum is properly
concentric to the hub, but the small lip/flange around
the outside of the drum varies in height giving the
odd appearance. I removed and turned a drum 180
degrees, and that seemed to make the wobble less
prominant. It was still there, but I knew I was onto
something!

Then I took a drum off the back of my GT6+ to see if
it matched up... sure enough! So I pulled 'em both off
and put them on the front of the Seven. They appeared
somewhat more concentric when spun, and a quick test
drive proved the wobble to be almost impercetible.

Question: should/can I get the drums machined and
balanced or can I buy a set made to more exacting
tolerances?

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions!

cheers,
John Donohoe
SB1135
http://phonecard.yahoo.com/