Re: Generator recommendations anyone?

To: Richard Ruff <rruff4@home.com>
Subject: Re: Generator recommendations anyone?
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 09:53:27 -0400
I have a 4Kwatt generator that does everything I need, except be quiet!  It
is very noisy when running, and probably can't be made quiet very easily,
but I'm going to try a small car muffler and see what happens.  A few
things to keep in mind - you need 3 times the rated power to start a
compressor type motor.  So a real 1 hp Compressor motor needs about a 3
Kwatt generator to start.  My 4 Kw unit won't start my 1.5 real hp
compressor.  the good news is that compressor manufacturers lie like rugs
about the power of their compressors, so look for the actual current draw
on the motor plate.  I got my generator more for emergency home use, where
you need to be able to start refrigerators, pump motors, furnaces, etc., so
I needed headroom so that I could start a motor if there was some other
load on as well.  I think 4 kwatts is the bottom end if you ever need to
run you house on it.  I think a 1800 - 2000 watt unit might be enough for a
race track choice for me

Phil Lamont had a real nice Honda generator at Mosport - looked like a 4 or
5 kw unit, but you couldn't hear it running during the day with normal
background noise.  I'm pretty impressed by those hondas.

Brian

Brian Evans
Director, Canada
MCI Wholesale Internet Services