Re: Race Spec Roll Bars in Street Cars with Convertible Tops

To: N <twobees@sprynet.com>
Subject: Re: Race Spec Roll Bars in Street Cars with Convertible Tops
From: Derek Harling <derek.lola@home.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 23:48:20 -0400
Norm

Interesting information - and a neat roll bar installation.

Two comments and one question -

 - the needs of racing and "street" rollbars are slightly different. With a
proper racing
harness the driver is effectively immobile and can't even lower his helmeted
head to one side to
avoid a broken neck or crushed vertebrae in a rollover.  With a normal street
3-point harness
there is at least some freedom for the head to moved to one side in same
situation. Therefore an
effective race rollbar needs to be 3-4" higher than an acceptable, "better than
nothing" street
bar. Even your excellent rollbar, teched by SVRA etc or not, doesn't really
provide this
protection.

 - if you are so concerned about accident protection on the street - don't
drive any open car -
or even any "old" car.

 - question - since you took such obvious pains to maximize the height of your
rollbar within
the confines of the soft top why did you not curved the top bar to follow the
curvature of the
soft top - thus gaining another inch or two in center height?

Sorry for these implied criticisms because you obviously took great pains to
achieve what you
did achieve.

Derek