Re: Broken Stub Axle (Spindle) on Austin-Healey 3000

To: Mark Palmer <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Broken Stub Axle (Spindle) on Austin-Healey 3000
From: Jim Hayes <hayes@mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 23:13:00 -0400
Mark Palmer wrote:

> Dennis,
>
> You bring up a good point.  The typical 1950's or even '60's production car
> was not designed with today's tires in mind.

If you want to see the aftermath of using sticky modern tires on a
vintage suspension, even after reinforcement for a known weakness, see
http://world.std.com/~jeh/racing/sprint59.htm . Only took two days at a
race to stress fatigue a trailing arm, leading to three snap rolls on
turn 2 at Mosport.
Found a cracked mount on the suspension of my Spider two years ago when
we disassembled everything and magnafluxesd it too.
Jim (older but wiser) Hayes

--
Jim Hayes
hayes@mediaone.net         http://www.JimHayes.com/