Dyno, EGT, O2

To: "vintage-race@autox.team.net" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dyno, EGT, O2
From: Phil Babcock <PHILLIPBABCOCK@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 08:41:26 -0400
David Vizard has an interesting chapter in his book "Making Horsepower
Carbs & Intakes" talks about how a EGT can give a false reading,
depending on which peaks it is reading. Too rich and you burn some fuel
in the header at the EGT giving a higher reading than is true....   We
have tested that therory many times on our Dyno, ie: leaning out the
mixture indicated by our Air Fuel Ratio Meter, actually lowering the exh
temp. You MUST use a QUALITY Air Fuel Meter on a Dyno as stated by
Vizard, to set the proper Air Fuel Mixture, make note of the EGT and now
you have a good reference for change in weather ect... or change in the
carbs. I saw this in action on my Lotus 2 weekends ago a Moroso. Temp
went up 200 degrees, richened the air correctors and brought it back
down. Cooler, Dryer Air.

Phil Babcock
72 Lotus Elan Vintage Racer (car & driver)

--
Phil Babcock
The Dyno Shop, Inc.