Re: Mid-50s racing in Beverly, MA

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mid-50s racing in Beverly, MA
From: "Herb Tobin" <herbtobin@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 23:38:38 -0400
>Steven Silverstein asked:
>
>Would anybody have any details regarding the sports car races in Beverly,
>MA
>during the Mid-50's?

I don't have any programs from the Beverly races, but I was there at least
one year, possibly two. The year(s) had to be '54, '55, or '56.

I remember this because it was at this race, held at the Beverly airport
that I first saw a Bentley Continental, considered then, as now, one of the
best and certainly most sporting of all Rolls-Royce built cars. What
especially impressed me is that the Bentley was not racing, but was being
used by the Briggs Cunningham racing team as a kind of pickup truck. I
remember watching as one of Cunningham's mechanics left the pit area in full
working clothes, grease and all, to jump into the Bentley to do some sort of
errand. To a kid in an MGTD this was very intimidating stuff.

Herb Tobin