Re: Tow Vehicle Tires

To: <JWoesvra@aol.com>, <NeotoyRick@aol.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tow Vehicle Tires
From: "David Bondon" <david.bondon@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 09:38:22 -0400
Rick, Jack, et al,

I just put six new Michelins on my truck about a month ago. I don't have the
numbers in front of me but they were the top of the line and specified for
this truck (GMC Dooley) for towing.

Boy was I shocked! I couldn't keep the truck between the white lines (yes we
did a full reallignnment) on the way home! I had set the tire pressures at
55 all around which is the way I ran the previous set of Michelins for 8
years on the same truck. After raising the pressures to 65 it stabilized
some what. Towing with the Sprite in the nose of the trailer and no second
car (read that lots of weight on the ball) it is barely acceptable regarding
tracking and steering response.

The Michelin is definately a different tire than the ones I took off.
Different not Better! The tread design uses a series of blocks on the outer
edge in stead of the continous tread of the old outer edges. Also the side
wall bulge is much larger (at 65 pounds) suggesting that the sidewall design
is more compromised for ride than optimized for towing.

I am going to try more pressure for VIR in July when we will take two cars.

But beware this is not the old tire we are used to!

Any one else experience this behavior?

SuperDave