Re: The "spirit" and competitiveness of vintage racing...

To: Grant Reynolds <grant62@starpower.net>
Subject: Re: The "spirit" and competitiveness of vintage racing...
From: lwdent <lwdent@fwi.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 14:31:07 -0500
In my drivers meetings at SOVREN I try to stress several salient points
that I think differentiate Vintage from SCCA or Pro racing.

First, the cars are the show.  If you want your driving skill to be the
most important thing in your racing, perhaps Vintage is not for you.

Second, Vintage is a zero contact sport.  You WILL be held accountable
even for single car accidents that are caused by over driving.  YOU ARE
ACCOUNTABLE.  If you don't feel that is fair or correct, SCCA is a
better place.  I have been a Steward in SCCA since 1965.  I love it, but
SCCA does not require accountability for ALL happenings.  When the
corner workers call it a "racing incident" it is usually discounted by
the stewards.  At Sovren, we want to know who did what, and with which,
and to whom.

Finally, I always end my little talks with the admonition" Take care of
each other".  Because if we don't take care of each other, vintage could
easily morph into another venue, one of contact, disregard for the
others racing room and worse.

We do not want that.

L.D.