Re: Rules and 'Cheating'

To: "Roger Sieling" <Rogsie@telesistech.com>, <S800Racer@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Rules and 'Cheating'
From: "Robert Allred" <rallred@inconnect.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 10:31:32 -0700
Interesting thread.  I would add to Roger's thought..."and there will always
be someone with more or less money, time, and energy,  than you..."

It isn't just talent that separates consistent front runners from the pack.
A generous budget allows more favorable preparation even within limits of
tightly written rules.  Doubt it?  Fresh tires for qualifying, vs. tighter
budget's one set for the season, comes to mind.  Fresh valve job, even
within specs, is another example.  What about time and energy commitments?

An overwhelming motivation to win, to outperform, is only one of the reasons
to race.  For me, and many others with realistic limits on time, energy and
funds, dictated by life issues such as family, vocation, community and other
obligations, racing has to fit into an overall balance.

I won't complain that others out perform me on the track.  But I will object
to being minimized if I take my motivation and reward from the ability to
set a goal, plan, and carry out motorsports participation.   I'll be as
conscientious in my driving and as competitive as my talents and assets
allow, optimistically looking to improve in each outing.  However ,
regardless of mid-pack, farther back, dead last, or DNF result, I'll take my
reward as having taken part, and risen from couch potatoe wanna-be status.

If I'm regarded as a RC, so be it....I'll probably just quietly dismiss the
diminishment as having come from a source who hasn't yet bumped into life's
compromises and limits often enough to recognize and validate varying
levels of means, contribution, and reward.

 Bob Allred  -  Riverton, Utah
Spec Rx-7, Miata & Crossle' 32
Club Racing & Solo Events
<www.inconnect.com/~rallred>