Re: MGB Brake pads and other interesting stuff

To: WSpohn4@aol.com, mgvrmark@hotmail.com, drs@socal.rr.com,
Subject: Re: MGB Brake pads and other interesting stuff
From: S800Racer@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 15:48:07 EST
In a message dated 1/17/01 3:15:20 PM, WSpohn4@aol.com writes:

<< Hey now - then they'd have to make the Alfas all run 1600 and 1750,
instead
of 2000, and the Porsches - God knows what they run - I think there is some
secret contest sometimes, and the guy with the early 911 (or 914) that crams
the biggest latest engine into his car wins.

Then there's the Tigers. Most of them were made with 260 ci engines. Guess
how many still have them?  And Ford GT 40s, million buck cars, and a friend
that owns and races one told me that a few years ago (at Laguna, I think)
when they had a big get-together, his was the only car with an original 289
with the Gurney-Weslake heads - everyone else had larger, later engines. >>

    Just because there are multiple examples of this problem does not make it
OK to cheat.  Yes, I think of it as cheating.  The first guy to put a big
motor in his Alfa/Porsche/Tiger/GT40/you-name-it did it to gain the "unfair
advantage", not for reliability or safety.  When he was not thrown out on his
ear, the rest did it to keep up.
    Requiring correct motors, brakes, carbs, trannys, etc. levels the playing
field and, in most cases, reduces costs for everyone.  If it is not within
the rules/spirit/mission of the Club, the cheaters should be brought in line
or sent to race with a different club.

    Doug Meis