Re: Molasses?

To: <RodsINTOMG@aol.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Molasses?
From: Steven Silverstein <milano164@mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 19:16:55 -0500
I initially posted the request on cleaning and I did receive a reply which
stated Molasses was a good rust remover:

"What about soaking the mill in a molasses/water mixture bath. This also
dissolves rust like you wouldn't believe. Just strip oil
pan/intake/timing cover and remove as many parts as possible. Do not
leave any Aluminum parts on the engine. Then degrease the block as best
as possible so that the mix is not contaminated. I had a very rusty 8BA
that I left in a plastic tub of molasses for 2 1/2 weeks. When removed
and hosed off, the engine looked like it had just come out of the
foundry and the water jackets were clean enough to eat off !! You can
also use the molasses bath to derust other project components Finally,
the used molasses are also environmentally friendly and will do plants
good if poured into the garden!! What else could you ask for ! "

I haven't tried this but I might. I was wondering if the paint came off too.
I noticed the warning regarding Aluminum parts... it's hard to believe
Molasses would do all that...

Steve