Re: Brake line advice

To: mgvrmark@hotmail.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake line advice
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 12:19:12 EST
Mark - I wouldn't trust flex hose for the whole car. ANY flex is too much,
and I have a hard time believing that there isn't SOME - every foot you have
adds up to a bit of loss.

The other factor is cost. That stuff wears out from the inside out wherever
it flexes, and from a safety point of view you have to assume it flexes
everywhere. The cost is not insignificant to replace a whole car done with
the stuff.

I'd use hard line, of either steel or the anticorrosion copper/steel you have
- neither is better from a performance point of view, the only attribute that
varies is how long it will be before you have to replace IT for safety (I had
a steel line pinhole on me when bleeding once....)

The Aeroquip is excellent for frame to brake, if made so as not to rub, and
changed every decade or so. Going from British fittings to regular ends and
locating the fittings in the frame clips can be a bit of minor fun.

Don't forget to do the clutch line too - a failed one can really test your
driving skill - I once had to run 3/4 of a race completely without clutch -
nearly ran the course marshall over at the end, as he didn't realise I
couldn't stop (or I wouldn't get going again).

Bill