Re: Wheels and Spacers

To: JWoesvra@aol.com, milano164@mediaone.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wheels and Spacers
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 09:42:42 -0500
The other problem with spacers is abnormal loads on the studs, which would
really only be much of a problem on a heavier production type car.  While
I've used stacked thin spacers, I would personally take the time to have a
set of spacers made to your specific needs.

A couple of other things to consider.  Later production cars use a flange
at the center of the hub to actively center the wheel, not relying on the
wheel nuts to do so.  If your car uses this system then your spacers should
have the appropriate recess and flange machined to pass the centering on
through to the wheel.  Also, I've seen, and made and used, spacers that are
actually adaptors - they bolt to the original hub and have their own studs
that the wheels bolt to.  Useful when adapting from one stud pattern to
another.

if you get stuck getting spacers made let me know and I'll give you a price
on making some up.

Cheers, Brian

At 08:23 AM 12/23/00 -0500, JWoesvra@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 12/22/00 2:23:38 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>milano164@mediaone.net writes:
>
><< I won't be racing on these wheels but regardless they do require large
>  spacers  5/8"-3/4".  I have only seen spacers in the 1/4"-3/8" thickness (if
>  my memory is correct).   If I get these wheels does anybody know if somebody
>  out there manufactures wheel spacers that thick?  (4x4.25" bolt pat.)
>   >>

>Most any machine shop can make these for you. I really don't see anything
>wrong with stacking thinner ones as long as you have good wheel studs and
>keep them tight.
>
>The biggest problem with spacers is getting them centered properly. If you
>have them custom made so that they fit tightly over the studs and hub flange,
>you should have no problem. The auto store "universal" ones are harder to fit
>properly, and these are usually the ones that people have problems with.
>
>And, I do hope you'll bring the Sunbeam out and really race it when it is
>finished.
>
>Jack Woehrle

Brian Evans
Director, Strategic Accounts