RE: Memorabilia

To: N197TR4@cs.com, fot@autox.team.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Memorabilia
From: "Oker, William" <OkerWR@navair.navy.mil>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 07:00:56 -0800
Yes, your new found treasure did bring back many memories. I used to run
those "First Friday Niters" and the "Flirt" rallyes and many others back in
the '63 to '65 time frame. I have about 35 of those plaques on a board in my
garage.  I usually was the navigator for my friend, Harlan Holmes', MGB. I
had a Bugeye and later a TR-3 (is your TR "BRG" with two white racing
strips...? Might be my old car...!) which I ran in the "Slaloms" (like
today's Solo II events) all over the LA/Orange county area. Typically, I'd
run a rallye on Friday night and a slalom on Sunday...every weekend! If
there was no slalom on Sunday I'd run another rallye. The "Friday Niters"
were usually short events...maybe 2 hours at most...usually 3 to 4 legs.
They started in some shopping center parking lot and finished at some pizza
place. We always ran "SOP" (Seat-of-the-pants). All you were allowed to use
was your car's speedo/odometer, a stop watch and paper and pencil. We got
pretty good at it, often coming in under I minute total error. Got lots of
trophies. These short rallyes were sort of like trainers for the longer more
serious Sunday events. Many of these were 6 to 8 hours. I even ran a 12 hour
one once in my Sprite. This sort of thing seems to have gone out of style
these days except for the really serious SCCA type events. I live in the San
Diego area now and never hear of anything like this. I still run the SOLO II
events, mostly at the Stadium (Qualcom Stadium now...used to be Jack
Murphy), but it would by fun to do a rallye now and then.

Thanks for the memories!

Bill Oker