Re: generator / alternator question

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: generator / alternator question
From: "MalcolmCox" <malcox@sonic.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 17:51:27 -0800
> If a ONE-WIRE alternator is spun without being hooked up, my
> understanding is that no damage will occur. True or false?

I bought a reconditioned AC Delco 1 wire from local parts store for
about $50.
Tested it by revving to 5000 rpm and switching off the master switch.
Simple hookup, no diodes or multiple connections, no nuffin.
1 wire to + thingy on battery thingy and away we go.

Used it for a couple of years without any issues.
Dont know understand the issues involved with sphisticated electrical
cut off switches and frankly if I did blow up the alternator,
a replacement alternator is cheaper than some battery cutoff switches
anyway.

By the way, I tried to test the 1 wire alternator  before connecting
it to my expensive sealed battery.
At the unconnected 1 wire, I was seeing over 60 volts at modest RPM.
But I am told this is normal, so:
Dont worry be happy
Malcolm