Re: tires again

To: Charles Christ <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: tires again
From: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 10:24:19 -0700
By comparison, I'm running the 5.00-15 Dunlops on 15x5.5" wheels. One thing
to watch out for is that if you're at the low end of the range for acceptable
rim widths for a given tire, the tire will squirm around a lot. My car has
15x4" rims in front. I tried the 5.00-15's on there and they moved back and
forth on the rim too easily. I went to 4.50-15 tires in the front, and the
handling improved quite a bit. I would tend to think the 4.50-15 is too
narrow for a 15x5" rim. Are you sure the 5.00-15 won't fit? That should be
about the same as a 185-65-15, perhaps a bit taller. Another data point is
that some Alfas run the 5.00-15 tires on 15x4.5" rims.