Re: Sticky DOT tire choices?

To: KelvinPalmer@worldnet.att.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sticky DOT tire choices?
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 11:57:19 EDT
Kelvin:

Before you buy, be sure to check what tires are legal with the groups you run
with.
Many race organizations out west (where I am) won't let you run the G-Force
or the Hoosier radials.

The old BFG TA R1s are good, as are the Kuhmo's, and Hoosier bias plies.  I
prefer the TA R1s.  I found the Kuhmos to have a radically different feel on
my car.  Where it was neutral to slight oversteer on the TAs, it went to lots
of understeer on the Kuhmos...no other changes, just switched the tires
during a practice session.  I also blistered one rear Kuhmo very easily,
which I've never done with the TAs.  I talked to the Kuhmo people but they
couldn't offer a good explanation why I noticed such a radical handling
change.  I did notice that the Kumos are heavier tires than the
TAs...increasing unspring weight.  I tried a set of Hoosier bias plies in the
past and went slower, but in all fairness, I didn't change the set up to
switch from radials to bias plies.  I have another set to mount now that I
won, and will give them another try, this time with the proper camber
settings.  Many people do swear by them.

I've also had good luck with Bridgestones (RE71R...but no longer available, I
believe), and Yoko A008Rs, and Toyo Proxes.

Good luck and report on what you end up with and how they work for you.

Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus Cortina Mk1 #128