Re: Nardi wood rimmed steering wheels

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Nardi wood rimmed steering wheels
From: "Richard E. Buckingham, Jr." <rebjrmd@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 09:05:48 -0700
Listers, I am restoring a 1960 Taraschi Formula Jr.  The steering wheel
(original) was made by Nardi.  The wood (as near as I can tell) was made of
one or more thin pieces of wood which were wrapped around the rim.  What
has happened is part of this wood has chipped out leaving 1/8 in. slit like
voids which have been filled with filler, which has also chipped out.  I
think that the wood would either need to be replace entirely or perhaps
small piece could be spliced in.  If anyone has any thoughts on this
subject or better yet, any experience with some talented wood worker who
has done this sort of thing in the past, I would be very appreciative for
the referral.
Dick Buckingham, Jr.