Re: Trip Report - Testing at VIR

To: "Vintage Race List" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Trip Report - Testing at VIR
From: "Nick England" <nick@cs.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 18:54:40 -0500
Vaughn's  report from VIR is right on the money - words aren't sufficent to
tell you what a marvelous track and wonderful facility this is. Fellow
vintage racer Harvey Siegel has accomplished a miracle in not just reviving
VIR but making it the truly first class track people always dreamed it could
be.

I have been compiling a history of VIR and have thousands of photos, entry
lists, race results, etc. on the web -
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~nick/vir.html - but I had never driven the track at
speed until today. What a fantastic track, and what a marvelous time I had.

Serious Twilight Zone experience - Passing me in the esses was the very
Lister-Jag that Walt Hansgen drove to victory at VIR in May 1959!! (that was
Dave Handy testing Jim Freeman's car)

After reading hundreds of race reports and looking over thousands of photos,
finally getting to drive VIR was a major league thrill. Thank you, Harvey.

I was driving a street car (Ferrari Mondial 8) today but will have my
vintage racer (Fiat 850 spider) there this Friday, and for many weekends to
come.
I hope to see you there.

Nick England, VIR History Nut
nick@nc-cdat.com