Re: Women Racers

To: <DSRGR@aol.com>, <nobozos@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Women Racers
From: "Ron Yates" <dipstickdigest@ctaz.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 23:02:55 -0700
    This thread started with the concept of a woman racer , as portrayed in
a film, circa 1954, as being ahead of its time. I alluded to the fact of a
womens sports car racing club, closely attached to Cal-Cub, on the left
coast in the mid-fifties and offered some names to illustrate that it might
not be as avant-garde as originally perceived.
    The thread has become fairly broad and I've heard some names I've not
known before. As long as names are being thrown out I've noticed that Pat
Moss and AnnWisdom haven't been mentioned for their efforts in the BMC Rally
program during the late fifties to mid-sixties
    This tread has taken us into the seventies with Janet Guthrie so let's
continue and include Desiree Wilson (F1) and Lyn St. James (IMSA and Indy)
into the eighties and nineties.
    I'm sure there will be more. The bottom line is that lady racers have
been about since the early days of automotive competition, before the Great
War, WWII, the early beginnings of the sports car movement and today
(midgets, sprints and NASCAR). Name a sanctioning body and there are some
lady racers participating.
    There ought to be a book in this somewhere. I can't do it. All my time
is spent gathering information for the Dipstick Digest, newsletter of the
world's smallest Austin-Healey Club (located in the beautiful arid Mohave
Valley, Arizona).

Cheers,

Ron Yates, Editor