Vintage Racer: what car to buy?

To: jfcowan@pacbell.net
Subject: Vintage Racer: what car to buy?
From: thom kuby <thomkuby@iwvisp.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 21:26:52 +0100
John,
No doubt by now you have lots of suggestions to consider.
I think it's really neat to read the responses and find some of my favorite
cars mentioned...but NOT mentioned (so far) is my #1 favorite-and I'll get
to that.

Among other cars, This list has responded with:
Datsun 510 - Owned one...Great car, mean-as-hell autocrosser, easy to own,
vintage eligible (at least the earliest ones are).

MGB - Class, pure class.  I can't see how you can go wrong with a
"mig"...no, never had the pleasure of owning one but that's not the cars'
fault (hardly).  they don't seem terribly expensive, or difficult, to own.

Porsche 914 - Owned two of these.  Probably the best entry level track
platform out there...I kid you not, I've gone very fast on the track in my
relatively stock 914s (both 4cyls by the way).  Again, the four bangers are
easy to own, a good value and easy to sell.

Alfas - Again, very classy.  I'll defer to the Alfa guys on this one.
Something about those coupes however.  they are quick and they wind up in
front of the Porsche 911, alot of the time...

My favorite? a pre-1974 Porsche 911...simply because it will challenge you.
If you can successfully drive an early 911 at the limit, you can drive damn
near anything.  Pre 1969 cars are better for serious vintage activity...but
the pre '74 cars are nicer platforms (longer wheelbase) for everything
else. Club events, track days, time trials etc.
I am currently working with a '68 912 time trialer car, simply because I
can't honestly afford to (properly) work with a 911 right now. However, the
912 is a real hoot too - a modern 356!

WARNING: 911s are expensive...they can get very expensive, and they are
addicting as hell.  You really can't go wrong with any of these other cars
I've (along with the list) have mentioned above.

Most of all - good luck and have fun with whatever you choose
cheers
Thom Kuby